Sunday, February 16, 2014

Gratitude is Key.

On an increasing basis, I've seen and heard of far too much tragedy lately. Log on to any of the social networking sites and apps and you are sure to see something heartbreaking and tragic more often than not. Most of the time, I have no clue how to express the emotions associated with what's sadly becoming common tragedy. Despair, disbelief, helplessness, pure sorrow. Life is so fragile, so precious, and gone so easily. To me, the scariest part of loss is the fear of forgetting. I was absolutely terrified and felt so guilty to feel normal again. To not hurt anymore. It scared me how natural it is for life to go on. Your world may come crashing down, but the Earth still rotates, the sun still rises, and the days still come and go uninterrupted. With tragedy becoming increasingly common I only hope that we do not become numb and desensitized to the events that are taking place.

When I was younger, I used to feel guilty for being happy because I knew how much hurt there was (and still is) in the world. I knew that the tragedy that is shell-shocking in the United States happens on a daily basis in other countries. I felt endlessly conflicted. On one hand, I believed I deserved to feel happy because I was living a life I was proud of. On the other, I couldn't comprehend how I could be laughing and smiling, while children half way across the world were starving without food to eat or a place to sleep at night. Battles raged on beneath my ever calm facade. Cool and collected on the surface, yet tearing at the seams within. In the end, I realized I was being supremely unfair to myself by sacrificing my happiness for something I couldn't immediately effect. But, I do intend to effect it. Whether it be through a donation to a charity or a mission trip, I'll help and I'll give and I'll sacrifice to change it. These words are not empty; they are full enough to ever so graciously carry the weight of a heavy promise.

Instead of suppressing my positive emotions of happiness and joy, I developed an increased and deepened sense of gratitude. Hearing and reading about all of the pitfalls and absolute tragedies that play out around the world, as well as very close to home, has only renewed my strong belief in the importance of gratefulness and gratitude. The connotations that are associated with my generation are far from positive in most cases. We're the age of new technology with a decrease in physical, human interaction and, above all, I notice among my generation that so many people feel entitled to everything. They disregard the fact that education is a privilege and should be treated as such. They disregard that there are more serious dilemmas than the cancellation of Flappy Bird. They disregard that so many go without enough food to eat and a place to sleep. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone and I understand that these burdens are very difficult to acknowledge and take on. I'm not asking anyone to do that. What I am asking is for people to demonstrate a bit more gratitude towards what and who they are so absolutely lucky to have.  

I'm at a natural reflection point in my life. I'm between seasons, I've decided where I want to go to college, and I'm left staring back at the rungs I've climbed thus far to my dreams rooted in the clouds. The first thing that came into mind when I committed was how essential it is to thank all of the people that have helped me reach this step in my career and in life. Without them, I surely wouldn't be where I am. Whether it be positive or negative, every person I've interacted with has had an effect on me. The way I adapted to and interpreted each interaction has shaped me into a person that I'm genuinely proud of. To me, the most important and exciting thing about critical, big moments is being able to recognize everyone who helped me along the way. Whether it was personal training sessions, a word of encouragement, or simply support, it all was absolutely paramount. I've been so fortunate to fall in stride with the right people at the right time.

There's a quote that I've heard a countless number of times and think it proves an excellent point; "What if all you had tomorrow is what you were thankful for today?" Ask yourself, what would you have? Be thankful. There is no shame in demonstrating thanks. It is not a sign of weakness, but a symbol of strength that you are able to recognize all that someone has done for you, even if it's been minimal. Never underestimate the strength of recognition. So many people work tirelessly seeking nothing more than to fulfill their potential and exceed their personal standards. They give and give and give and if we do not give back a mere word of thanks (at the least) to balance it out, they will simply run out. The world is full of so many unsung heroes that are too humble to ever demand recognition or even ask for it. Dare to be their song bird and spread how beautiful they make humanity. Sometimes those few words can serve as that extra bit of gasoline when the tank has been running on empty for far too long. A simple thank you has the power to lift people up and strengthen relationships.

The world is chaotic and loud. Silence it with gratitude. Be generous enough to give thanks for all you are so lucky to have and be wise enough to know that not everyone can be so lucky. In times of so much loss and so much tragedy, it's so essential to remember what and who is important. There are few better ways to make relationships concrete than to let one another know that they are appreciated and that everything that they do does not go without recognition and thanks. The world is a place of darkness and opportunity. Use each opportunity you have to banish the darkness with the brightness of an infectious smile.  I encourage you to take part in the movement, even if it's as simple as writing down one thing you are thankful for before you go to sleep every night. Once you become comfortable with that, dare to voice your gratitude to the deserving. Gratitude can be a chain reaction and a moving force in the world. and because of that Gratitude is Key. 


No comments:

Post a Comment